Virginia Oldoini, Countess of Castiglione (22 March 1837 – 28 November 1899), better known as La Castiglione, was an Italian aristocrat who achieved notoriety as a mistress of Emperor Napoleon III of France. She was also a significant figure in the early history of photography.
n 1856 she began sitting for Mayer and Pierson, photographers favored by the imperial court. Over the next four decades she directed Pierre-Louis Pierson to help her create 700 different photographs in which she re-created the signature moments of her life for the camera. She spent a large part of her personal fortune and even went into debt to execute this project. Most of the photographs depict the Countess in her theatrical outfits, such as the Queen of Hearts dress. A number of photographs depict her in poses risqué for the era—notably, images that expose her bare legs and feet. In these photos, her head is cropped out.
- notablegem reblogged this from historicphoto
- thedameloves likes this
- clawfoottub reblogged this from historicphoto
- heyimdalies reblogged this from fuckyeahimagination
- fuckyeahimagination reblogged this from historicphoto and added:
- fuckyeahimagination likes this
- cyanidenights likes this
- serendipityserenity reblogged this from historicphoto
- nicdanobody likes this
- josephsurface likes this
- ranordine reblogged this from historicphoto
- historicphoto posted this