Scioto River and Olentangy River Confluence, 1918
This photograph captioned “Where the Rivers Meet” accompanied a Norwester magazine article titled “The Work of the Mound Builders,” which was from the book Ohio History Sketches. The article discusses Indian mounds in Ohio and specifically mentions one located just northwest of the city of Columbus on the Scioto River, just above its junction with the Olentangy River. Factory smokestacks are visible in the background. Within Franklin County, Ohio there are 132 Indian mounds, some of which were found along the Scioto and Olentangy Rivers, one near the Marble Cliff quarry, south of Trabue Road, and a sizeable one on Dublin Road near the water plant.